Students, who are career employees at UCI, UCI Medical Center, or another University of California campus, are eligible for a two-thirds reduction
of the Student Services fee, the University Tuition and Fees, and campus-based fees. This applies for up to 9 units or
3 regular session university courses per quarter, whichever provides the greatest benefit. The Registrar's Office is responsible
for producing a waiver on an approved Employee Application for Reduced Fees.
Examples of what is permitted:
- 3 courses totaling 9 units
- 3 courses totaling 9.5 units
- 3 courses totaling 12 units
- 4 courses totaling 9 units
- 5 courses totaling 9 units
Examples of what is not permitted:
- 4 courses totaling 9.5 units
- 4 courses totaling 10 units
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR THE STUDENT (Career Employee)
- Employees must follow the university application process and be accepted for admission in a UCI
degree program in order to receive this fee reduction.
- Approval of the Employee Application for Reduced Fees is for one quarter only. A new application
must be completed for each quarter the student desires reduced tuition and fees.
- A student who files an application is not eligible to receive a tuition and fees reduction for part-time status
also, and vice versa.
- Graduate level courses are subject to taxation. The Technical and Miscellaneous Reform Act of 1998 (TAMRA)
has several areas which could impact a UCI employee who receives reduced fees and/or financial
assistance for various courses. University of California undergraduate courses do not fall
within TAMRA's provisions.
- Full-time, career status employees who wish to attend UCI Continuing Education (Extension)
courses (excludes Access UCI) receive a reduction in the tuition and fees for some courses. Current UCI Continuing Education policies apply.
PROCEDURE FOR THE STUDENT (Career Employee)
1. Obtain an Employee Application for Reduced Fees by visiting:
- Academic Personnel (354 Aldrich Hall)
- Human Resources (111 Theory, Suite 200)
2. Complete the form.
3. Obtain signatures.
- For Staff employees:
- Human Resources representative.
- For Academic Employee:
- Department chair; and
- Vice Provost.
- For employees of another UC campus:
- Signatures must be obtained on your home campus in addition to the signatures required on the UC Irvine campus.
4. Return the completed form to the Registrar's Office.
5. Pay tuition and fees to the Central Cashier (228 Aldrich Hall) by the fee payment deadline.
(Employee is required to pay one third of the Student Services Fee, Tuition and Fees, and
campus-based fees, and the full cost of health insurance.)