Click here to go to UC Irvine University Registrar Image Map

Search Registrar site:

 UCI Home  :  Schedule of Classes  :  General Catalogue  :  WebReg  :  StudentAccess  :  WebAdmin  :  FAQ  :  Help Desk 
UC Irvine Aldrich Park

Preferred Names

UCI allows a student to submit a preferred name that will appear in place of the student's legal name in certain University related records. Electing to use a preferred name will not change your legal name.

What is a preferred name?

A preferred name is a name that you choose to be used in place of your legal name on certain university related records or documents.

At this time, examples of where your preferred name would be used are:

  • Campus Directory
  • Class rosters
  • Canvas
  • Diplomas
  • Electronic Educational Environment (EEE)
  • Financial Aid
  • Financial Services Student Systems (Zot Account, Transact Payments)
  • Transcripts
  • ZotKey (Digital ID)

Examples where your legal name would continue to be used are:

  • Financial Aid and Scholarships documents
  • Financial Services tax, loan, and disbursement documents
  • Any legal document produced by the University

Important Information

ZotKey (Digital ID)

If your preferred name is approved, your ZotKey will be updated later that same night.


Your diploma will be printed with your legal or preferred name.

Setting a preferred name

If you have a current UCInetID, you may set your preferred name via StudentAccess. Requests for a preferred name may be submitted only by the student.

Eligible Preferred Names

There are limits to what you may select as a preferred name. Character limits and character restrictions are outlined in StudentAccess. Other restrictions are set by the Office of the Registrar.

Upon submission of your preferred name via StudentAccess, your choice of preferred name will be reviewed by the Office of the Registrar. Once your preferred name is approved, it will appear in the Preferred Name section in StudentAccess. If your preferred name is not approved, your legal name will remain the only name on your record in StudentAccess.

Examples of preferred names that will not be approved:

  • Names containing foul or inappropriate language as deemed by the Registrar
  • Names used for the purpose of misrepresentation

Changing your legal name

To submit a change of legal name, please visit: Request a Change of Legal Name.

Changing your Gender Identity or Sexual Orientation

To submit a change of Gender Identity or Sexual Orientation, please visit: Gender Identity and Sexual Orientation Student Data.